Bexar County Courthouse; San Antonio, Texas
The Bexar County courthouse was designed by the famed Texas architect, J. Riely Gordon. The cornerstone was laid in 1892 and completed in 1897. Gordon grew up in San Antonio and he won the design competition for the courthouse. It is built from red sandstone and Texas granite. The two towers have red and green tile.
The courthouse design is Romanesque Revival which features arched entrances and windows, towers, and a castle like appearance.
Unlike other Texas counties which have the courthouse on a square, the Bexar courthouse sits on the south side of the Main Plaza which was laid out by early settlers in 1731.
On the Plaza is San Fernando Cathedral and Chapel containing the remains of several Alamo defenders.
Bexar County was the original "mother" county from which many other counties of Texas were created.