Brazoria County: Angleton, Texas - birdshooter

Brazoria County Courthouses: Angleton, Texas

This is the 1940 Moderne style courthouse built of Indiana granite and limestone, designed by Lamar Q. Cato. It has some fine Art-Deco above the entrance door. On the opposite side of this courthouse is the 1976 addition by Wyatt Hedrick. There is a third courthouse in this series of photos, an 1897 Classical Revival style that sits adjacent to these two.

Note: In the 1890's the town of Brazoria was the county seat. Angleton challenged the small town for the right to be the county seat. The citizens of Brazoria contacted famed architect J. Riely Gordon to built a courthouse in Brazoria. After the courthouse was built the citizens of Brazoria County voted to move the county seat to Angleton. The majestic NEW courthouse was demolished. There is a photo of this courthouse courtesy of the Texas Historical Commission.

BrazoriaCountyCourthouseAngletonRAW8745